26.7.12

BLACK AND WHITE


Part I

Where have you gone my Black and White room?
creeping inside my head, a long lost memory
of time and tide, yesterday 22 years back.
The grandfather clock chimed once upon a time
the wooden chair rocked back and forth,
I, a child, hidden in the attic
of black and white shadows.
Where have you gone Black and White TV?
traveled the world through your lens,
Byomkesh Bakshi smiled at me
like the very first time, for the last time.
Rusty, my childhood friend,
we are no longer in touch, you know.
Some say, he is now a writer,
as old as the legends of Dehradun.
Surabhi told me stories of her travels.
She opened up my mind
yesterday, 22 years back.
I live now in coloured walls,
yellow, red and green
blue, brown and pink/
My Black and White room
has now gone to the History book
of my heart, my soul.
My Black and White room
has now flown,
free, a bird caught in time.

Part II

Black and White courtyard
I grew in your lap,
my nanny you were
yesterday, 22 years back.
Black and White flowers
where have you gone?
You blossomed in peace
now your leaves have turned yellow,
in the far-away backyard
you lay in ruins.
They trample your gentleness
you sigh for hours and,
finally cry in pain.
But do they listen?
Do they treat you with respect?
Then why do you expect fairness?
Black and White school bus
I, a little child, gaze into my mind's eye,
of books, and prayers and the school motto
now in Black and White frames.
Black and White beggar on the road
how old were you then?
when i tossed my Black and White coins
at your disposal.
I saw Black and white expectation
on your Black and White face then.
Why Black and White memories?
Why must you stay with me all the while?
Why must you bring a smile
as we walk a mile?
I do not belong here.
Now this moment.
I cling to you
my Black and White refuge
away from these colored walls,
away from these coloured madness.
You are my Black and White peace.

No comments: